Authentic Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani Recipe
Published By pinakinmt on 2012-02-20 2438 Views
How to prepare an Authentic Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani?
Today, I brings you another recipe from the magical land of India. This is from the city of Andhra Pradesh and the recipe is ‘Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani’.
The city of Hyderabad is known for its Nawabs and its Nawabi Biryani. This is the most popular recipes in Hyderabad. The Hyderabadi Mutton and Chicken Biryanis are famous all over the world due to their authentic flavors and spices that go along with them.
The specialty of this dish is that the meat is cooked in an airtight pot on a low flame which makes the rice all the more delicious. The juices of the meat get mixed up with the rice adding to the flavors.
Ingredients for Marinade:
2 pounds of chicken cut into medium sized pieces (about 2”)
One small cup of Yogurt
1.5 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
2 to 3 teaspoon Chili powder
2 teaspoon Coriander powder
15 small green chilies cut into two
1 small cup mint leaves
1 cup chopped Cilantro
1 teaspoon Turmeric
Lime Juice and salt for taste
Garam Masala Powder (10 pepper corns, 10 cloves, ½ tsp. cardamom and black cumin and 1 cinnamon) – Put all the ingredients in a mixture and prepare a find powder.
1 Large Onion finely chopped in a vertical direction
1 cup of oil
½ teaspoon saffron
½ cup milk
4 cups of rice (Preferably Basmati or Delhi Rice) soaked for ½ hour.
Spices to be mixed with Rice while boiling.
3 cloves, 6 Cardamoms, 2 bay leaves, 1 Bay flower, 1 tablespoon of Sahajeera and Ginger Garlic Paste, 1 tablespoon oil.
Method of Preparation:
• Clean and cut the chicken into small medium sized pieces. Wash the chicken thoroughly and then pat it and squeeze it dry. See to it that all the pieces are dry as this is very important.
• Mix up all the ingredients and marinade the chicken in these for about a 1 hour or even overnight in a cooler or refrigerator.
• Now heat up the oil and mix the onions in it. Fry till they are golden brown. Keep them aside.
• Soak up the saffron in hot milk.
• The next step is to add all the spices to boiling water and let it boil for a while. Now add in the rice and continue to cook till the rice is boiled to a stew. Boiling time is approximately 2 to 3 minutes. Do not overcook the rice. Now drain the water from the rice and keep it aside.
• Take a big vessel or a pot. Now arrange the chicken and the rice in layers. Two layers of rice are followed by one layer of chicken and so on. Arrange the pieces of chicken and pour oil over it.
• With each layer of rice sprinkle some fried onions on it along with the saffron and milk.
• The last layer should always be that of rice. Now sprinkle the fried onions over it and seal the container or vessel. Make it airtight so that the steam does not escape. Use aluminum sheets to cover and seal the vessel. Then put on the lid of the vessel. You can even place a heavy object like a heavy pan or skillet on top to seal off the vessel.
• Le the Biryani cook for 8-10 minutes on a high flame. After 10 minutes put the flame on to the low indication and let it cook for another 20 minutes. Now switch off the gas flame and let it cook for 10-15 minutes.
• Your Authentic Hyderabadi Biryani is now ready to be served.
This Biryani tastes better as it is. You can garnish it with coriander or potato chips for enhancing the flavor. It can be accompanied by a salad or raita. On the other hand, even chicken stew or mutton stew can be a great accompaniment.
Please note that the above recipe is prepared taking raw chicken pieces. This recipe can also be prepared using already cooked chicken. It will save time in the overall preparation.
In India, this recipe is prepared by using earthen pots which are sealed with flour tapes on its side.